Cotswald Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie is a firm favourite in many households – Find this and many other dairy recipes at https://www.dairyuk.org/recipes/dinner/cotswold-cottage-pie/
This cottage pie is topped with a thatch of cheesy mashed potatoes and swede – it’s delicious!
- 700g (1lb 9oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 300g (10oz) swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g (14oz) extra lean minced beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 75g (3oz) green beans, chopped
- 100g (4oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 50g (2oz) frozen peas, thawed
- 4 tsp gravy granules for beef
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 100g (4oz) Double Gloucester cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes and swede in simmering water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan and add the mince, a handful at a time, cooking it until browned. Stir in the onion, carrot, green beans, mushrooms and mixed herbs. Add 450ml (3/4 pint) water and simmer without a lid for 20 minutes, adding the peas for the final 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the grill and warm a large baking dish under it for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the gravy granules into the mince mixture, stir until thickened, then transfer to the baking dish.
- Drain the potatoes and swede, season, then mash thoroughly. Stir in the chives and about three-quarters of the cheese. Spoon over the mince, spreading it out to cover it. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, then grill until golden brown. Serve.
Cook’s tip: Make a vegetarian version with Quorn mince and use vegetable gravy granules.